Monday, 31 January 2011

New Zealand Census 2011: my first job!



It's official now: I am one of the more than 7000 collectors that Statistics New Zealand has hired for the New Zealand Census of Population and Dwellings, which takes place every 5 years.

After a short training I will be sent out to my 350 dwellings to hand out forms and collect them once they're filled out. No, it's not exactly a job you need three degrees for, but I don't care. It will get me out of the house and my first job experience in NZ also shouldn't be too hard. I will definitely get to meet a lot of people, and that's something I'm really looking forward to.

It might sound strange and a little bit backwards that people have to be sent out to collect these data. In New Zealand you don't need to register when you move, so basically the authorities have no idea how many people are living in each house and that's one of the reasons why they take this census.

On 16 February we're getting on first training and after that we can hit the road. With a bit of luck this job will give me some good stories for this blog. Not that I will have that much time for updating it, because I will be combining the census job with the translation of a Polish biography of 124000 words, worth 10 months of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment