Thursday, 25 March 2010

Scotts latest discovery




A couple of weeks ago he came home with a jar of 'Pams White Chocolate Spread'. And guess what? After a closer reading of the label Scott found out it's actually made in Belgium!

Last night my friend Billie, about who I will tell you more soon, took me to Cafe Versailles, for a concert of the local Kiwi gypsies. This place has got all the desserts I could kill someone for: Crème brulée, Crêpes Suzettes, Tarte Tatin, ...

The owner, a French lady from Lille, complained to us about the horrendous price she pays for the 5 kg blocks of Callebaut that they get off the local supplier. I was amazed to hear that she hadn't heard about the praline factory of the Belgian de Spa family in Christchurch. Last week I actually called them to inquire if I could buy some Callebaut chocolate of them. I had been thinking about introducing Belgian hot chocolate at the local Farmers' Market and was looking for a supplier of good chocolate (which is extremely hard to find). The de Spa factory would be the ideal partner. Anyway, Cafe Versailles will save a lot of money now by having the chocolate shipped from the South Island.

In the meanwhile I found out that in order to serve hot chocolate at the Farmers' Market I would need a special caravan, that would have to meet all sorts of requirements. As soon as I heard that, I immediately dropped the idea. It sounded just a little bit too much like the Belgian bureaucratic system...

No comments:

Post a Comment