Sunday, 7 March 2010

A weekend of fun at the Historic Village










This weekend we spent a big chunk of our time at the Historic Village in Tauranga for the Multicultural Festival on Saturday and Children's Day on Sunday.

The Festival was mainly focusing on the different cuisines and music of the enormous variety of nationalities living in the Bay of Plenty. We stuffed ourselves with Korean sushi, Nepalese dumplings, Thai donuts, New Zealand Mr. Whippy (obligatory!), South African Boerenwors and ... szarlotka, Polish applecake. You can imagine my excitement when I discovered the stand of the Polish delegation, who had come all the way from Hamilton (100 km from here) to present their beautiful Polish cakes. One couple was dressed in a Sarmatian national dress that would have suited a cold Polish winterday better. I met some incredibly nice people there, amongst which the Polish ambasador and her husband, the Polish consul, who flew over for this event. It was great to able to talk Polish again and I could have stayed there all afternoon chatting away, but Scott and the kids got a little sick of it. Anyway, I've got my contacts in Hamilton and with the Embassy in Wellington now, which is a big step forward. Maybe my new Polish friends will be happy to swop cakes for the latest Polish literature?

Children's Day: another great day for Ilias and Jacob




No comments:

Post a Comment